Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Rapid Review: "Prince Lestat" by Anne Rice

"Prince Lestat" is the latest in Anne Rice's acclaimed Vampire Chronicles series which began with "Interview with the Vampire" so many years ago.  "Prince Lestat" returns to the story of our blood-drinking hero Lestat de Lioncourt as he, the elders of the world's vampires, and some newer blood fend off a threat called "The Voice" (which has nothing to do with Adam Levine or Blake Shelton).  Nearly every blood-drinker from every previous story in the series appears in "Prince Lestat" as well as some new, modern, tech-savvy characters.



"Prince Lestat" is for the fans of the series (of which I am one), and it works well. The storyline around "The Voice" and the revelation about its identity move fast through multiple plot threads, culminating in an exciting climax and denouement.   I loved reacquainting myself with some old vampiric friends, and meeting some new additions to the cast of the undead.

A couple of the sub-threads didn't work well for me, and one in particular seemed to have some timeline issues that didn't jive.  But this is a minor quibble.  If you're a fan of Ms. Rice and the Vampire Chronicles, you'll like "Prince Lestat".  I only hope that Lestat comes to visit us on a few more occasions before he goes into the Earth for the last time.

A quick note about Ms. Rice:  I got to meet her briefly at a book signing a few years ago, and I had my (then) 4 year old daughter with me.  Anne Rice was about the nicest author I've ever met!  She spent several minutes talking to my daughter and asking her all about the toy stuffed lion she was carrying with her.  It was great!

"Prince Lestat" on Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment